Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Artist's Assistant



Here's the faithful, furry friend who sits nearby as I paint, happy that I've sat down long enough that he doesn't have to continue following me all over the house to see what I'm up to (and follow me he does). His main job is to get me to move away from my typical close viewing of the paintings by wanting to go outside, wanting a pat or wanting something to eat. If you're an artist, you know how important stepping away can be. Even if you're not an artist, you may have other areas of your life or work that need "stepping back" reminders. I have a good friend in my art class that will walk by my easel and remove my current painting to take it across the room. I love it that she does that.

Of course, he's not the only assistant. It seems that anyone who walks through the room (I paint right in the middle of it all) has an opinion to offer and I welcome them because after a day of painting, I sometimes lose the ability to look at a painting with "fresh eyes."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I confess to also being blessed with a faithful furry friend who wants to help. I agree with your point about "stepping back". I also value a true friend who sees when I need to "step back" and have the courage to tell me. However, I'm not as charitable as you. I don't value the "opinions" of every passer-by - unless of course they totally agree with me!

FCP said...

Good point about stepping back, MJ. I also have a furry assistant--they are good energy for artists, aren't they?
Keep up the good work!
Faye