Monday, March 3, 2008

Progress On Study After Fragonard

I thought some of you might like to see how I progress with a portrait. This one is a little different since I am painting it after a master painting by Fragonard that has already been done (see earlier posting). I'm very happy with the first layer of color, but there is still a long way to go. I'm not sure why Fragonard decided to do such a "cartoon-y" looking hand holding the book(at least from my point of view). I'm not sure if I will leave it or paint it in my own style. The other issue I'm debating about is whether I will settle for it being a representation of J. with her as the model for the girl or whether I will go ahead and try to make it look like her (it really doesn't yet). If I decide on the latter, it will likely mean 6-7 more layers in trying to achieve that likeness. Next time you see it, it will be done!

2 comments:

George P. said...

I think you should make it a likeness of J. Copying the original sounds like a great way to develop skills - but then maybe you end up "forging" a Fragonard. Adding J's likeness takes the great points of this painting and makes it personal. I also see that hand differently. It reminds me of how I have held a small book in one hand - especially if the book was new, would not stay flat and I was trying to stop a page flipping over.

Mary J DuVal said...

Her grandmother agreed with you! Luckily, after a day of painting yesterday her likeness "magically" appeared, much to my delight with not as much effort as it can sometimes take. Rejoice! You just never know. As of now, I'm redoing the hand - Fragonard may have been enough of a genius to get by with it, but people may just think I can't do hands. :0)