Friday, April 4, 2008

Study After Fragonard - Finished

I finally finished my version of Fragonard's "Young Girl Reading" with J. as my model. I was nervous to show her after I finished the face, but when I pulled it out of the car to show her, she said, "Mom, it looks just like me!" Whew! As one of my best and most honest critics, I knew she wouldn't let me get by with less. I think I solved the problem of the hand by staying true to Fragonard's version, but trying to make it a little more realistic.

In a continuation of Sister Wendy's opinions of "Young Girl Reading," she states: "What Fragonard seeks here is to show us the innocent bloom of young beauty, and its capacity for reverie." You'd have to ask J what book it is that she'd like to be reading.

I can't wait to get it framed as soon as it's dry! I hope you have enjoyed seeing the entire process of how this painting came about.


3 comments:

George P. said...

Excellent- love that little finger! I can’t wait to hear what book J is reading.

FCP said...

This is so lovely--it has such a nice feel.
Faye

Mary J DuVal said...

Thank you - It's very special to me and makes me happy when I look at it.