Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sneek Peek

I thought it would be fun to give you a little sneek peek of a painting I just finished. Shown here is just a very small portion of the painting (albeit the focal point). What do you think might be going on in the foreground and all around it? I've been studying the style of Edward Hopper and tried to capture the mood of his painting in my own way, but changed the surroundings. I had a very hard time deciding what to include and not to include in my own version. I'll post the full painting in a few days.

There is a sort of elation about sunlight on the upper part of a house.
(Edward Hopper)

No amount of skillful invention can replace the essential element of imagination.
(Edward Hopper)

4 comments:

Linny D. Vine said...

Definitely "Hopperish" and I'm imagining seaside with sailboats and maybe some kite flyers on land....

Mary J DuVal said...

Thank you, Linny. I am laughing because now I am seriously considering a re-painting because so many people have said seaside and now I wonder if people will be disappointed when they see otherwise?! I asked, and now the answers are making me think twice about my composition. Maybe I should've asked FIRST! I will post the completed painting later today.

James Parker said...

No seaside from me, Mary. I'm from Texas, and I lived in Fayetteville, just outside Lagrange/Brenham/Columbus. We had some friends...Clovis and Mary Ann Heimsath who remodeled an old house much like this one. Put a few bluebonnets in the foreground, and it's identical. And thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Come back and visit anytime.

Mary J DuVal said...

Whew! What a relief! Thanks, James. I was ready to post the rest of the painting and realized my perspective was off on another element - I had looked at that thing for THREE weeks before I realized it :0/ I just fixed it yesterday. I will definitely be following your blog regularly - I enjoy your posts and your art.