Friday, April 3, 2009

Schilo's Delicatessan, San Antonio, TX

On a trip to San Antonio last year, while strolling through the downtown, we stumbled upon Schilo's Deli which has been "serving up hearty German soul food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner since 1917." (Fodor's) I love finding a restaurant that has been around for ages and the building that houses Schilo's oozes of history. We had a great deli lunch and the service was quick. I had a feeling there were as many locals there as tourists (always a good sign).

What first attracted me to the original photo was the brilliant colors outside the window. Only after admiring the colors did I notice the man at the table. He was secondary to the original intention for the composition and that's the way I tried to paint him. I think he must have been a regular, he would turn and observe everyone who came in the door.

I have to say, it's nice to paint a person where I don't have to struggle for the likeness. Since I'm not trying to paint a specific person, I can just enjoying finding out who my paintbrush wants him to be. He reminds me an awful lot of my friend's dad, but it wasn't intentional.

I have another Schilo's painting on the easel which will be called "Take a Big Bite." You can imagine what that's about!

"Lunch Interrupted"
12"x12" oil on canvas

5 comments:

FCP said...

I love the idea that you can enjoy "finding out who your paintbrush wants him to be"--we should always adopt that attitude. This is a really nice piece--I am drawn to the brilliant colors outside too, and I like the nice reflected color you found on the windowsill.
Faye

Mary J DuVal said...

Thank you, Faye - I really appreciate your comments because I admire your work and talent so much.

Jody Harrington said...

Oh my goodness, Mary. This painting brought back so many memories of my father who kept his office in downtown San Antonio. As a little girl and young adult I loved having lunch with him at Schilos'.

This is just beautiful. Is it for sale?

Jody Harrington

Mary J DuVal said...

Thank you so much. Actually, someone currently has it on hold while they decide, but I'll let you know if they change their minds.

Jody Harrington said...

Thanks, Mary. Let me know if it becomes available.