Monday, May 18, 2009

Quick Sketch - New Orleans



I just returned from a "most wonderful" sister getaway to New Orleans. As we sat at a cafe near the French Market, I pulled out my new watercolor sketchbook to do a quick sketch of my view from the cafe.


I thought I might be crazy for even trying to attempt all this architecture at one, quick 20 minute setting (architecture is HARD!), but I reminded myself that it was good practice for me drawing from life and not to be so perfection-oriented. At one point my box blew away as wind and rain swept through the French Quarter, but I was determined. Anyone looking over my shoulder probably would've thought "Get another job" at that point. I snapped a quick photo for reference before we left, and when we got back to the hotel room, I did a quick watercolor wash and closed the book for the day.


Now that I'm home and I've downloaded the photo, I see a lot that I missed, but my objective was not to get everything in the picture, just the major shapes. It's interesting to compare what I noticed then as compared to now against the photo. Hmmm...I missed a lot! But I still like my rendition. I guess that's what they call taking artistic liberties.


1 comment:

Melissa Hardin said...

I am so drawn to your sketch. I absolutely LOVE it! It reminds me of something, but I just can't put my finger on it. Wonderful job, Mary.