Monday, March 1, 2010

Donkey Love (Small Study)

I have a friend who graciously forwarded some fun pictures of her horses and donkeys and this little donkey couple was just too cute to resist. I am fortunate to have many friends who are kind about sharing their photos with me. That is an enormous asset as an artist.

Another painter friend of mine has been encouraging me to start working on small studies and I've finally decided to follow through. Small studies are often done with the intention of completing a painting in a single day. Many artists these days are participating in this "painting a day" approach. While I have no desire to do a painting a day, it's good practice and very liberating because the whole goal (in my mind anyway) is to be less formal and restrictive and more creative and experimental. Even the brush strokes are more loose as I keep reminding myself to have fun with the brush and not over think any particular area of the painting. They are a welcome break from some of my long-term, planned commissions and larger works and should be easy to work in when I need a break from a more intense project.

As such, they are a great opportunity to own an original work of art at a reasonable price. I will be selling these small studies (8"x10"s) for $55 +s/h.
Donkey Love - SOLD
8"x10" oil on canvas
$55+s/h

1 comment:

George P. said...

I love the donkeys - if fact, I've been a fan of donkeys since I was a kid. An old man had a donkey cart to deliver "coal bricks" to my grand mother. We had the fun of giving the donkey a carrot or slice of bread.

I can't imagine a "painting a day". I'm intimidated by a "photo a day".