Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Japanese Tea Garden Koi (Small Study)



My original photo for this small study was taken in the Japanese Tea Garden of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. We were blessed by a lovely, sunny (!) March day and enjoyed a walk through the Japanese Tea Garden. I remember being slightly disappointed that we were missing all the Spring color that would be present in the flowering trees had we been there a few weeks later, but the koi certainly didn't disapoint with their jewel-like tones.

For Asian cultures, koi are good luck signs in business and life. I have read that there is even a blue version of koi, and I will be on the lookout now. I'm tempted to paint a much larger version of this - the colors were so fun, with the lighting and water almost giving an abstract effect to the painting.

"Japanese Tea Garden Koi" (Small Study)
8"x10" oil on canvas $55+s/h (tax if applicable)



No comments: