Sunday, August 12, 2007

Mission San Juan Capistrano - View From the Plaza




Known as "the Jewel of Missions," Mission San Juan Capistrano was founded in 1776.

With a few hours to spare one morning, I took myself over to the mission to walk through the gardens. I had visited the Mission San Juan Capistrano when I was a teenager, but had forgotten how beautiful the surroundings and gardens were. I like this view because it encompasses the bell campanario, the statue of Father Junipero Serra with an Indian boy, and the ruins of the church which are "believed to be the oldest standing building in California." What a delight for anyone who has the opportunity to visit these well-cared for, peaceful surroundings. Especially on a beautiful sun-drenched California day.

"Mission San Juan Capistrano - From the Plaza" 5"x7" oil on canvas, gallery-wrapped



2 comments:

Heidi Malott said...

Hi Mary, Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving the kind words. It is always nice to hear from another busy artist mom. Welcome to the art blog world! I really like your art and the endearing words that go with them. I will enjoy seeing more of your work. Cheers! Heidi Malott

Mary J DuVal said...

Thanks, Heidi. I'm thrilled to be blogging. I've found some really nice people and it's wonderful that we can inspire each other. Thank you for commenting, by the way!!! I was so excited when I saw I had a comment :0) - it's the little things in life!!! Your daily paintings in my inbox are like little gifts each day. ~Mary