Sunday, February 6, 2011

All of Nature Proclaims His Glory


"All of nature proclaims His glory" (Psalm 19:1)...and for bird lovers and others, the indigo bunting may be viewed as one of nature's visual crescendos.

A friend, and avid bird watcher, generated much talk when she posted a photo of the indigo bunting that took up residence in their backyard this past November and is still visiting them every day (!)

As an artist, nature inspires me in a way that nothing else does. When I saw her photo, I knew I would paint it, I just wasn't sure how or when (which is what happens with many of my initial inspirations - they come to fruition on their own time and I've learned not to force it).

How do you do justice to an indigo bunting?!

This year, I plan on playing with some new types of media. Oil remains my priority, but I look forward to taking some creative adventures with watercolors, acrylics, colored pencils, digital art...sky's the limit!

And what better place to start than with this little guy? (You may see him again!)I'm grateful for people (my friend) who share what inspires and delights them in their daily lives, and I thank you for allowing me to share my own delights with you, here, on this blog.

1 comment:

George P. said...

Great painting - I look forward to the other media (?) during the year. Was it Picasso who "rendered" a steer with a bicycle saddle and handlebars? Why stick to paper?