Tuesday, July 14, 2009

French Quarter - After Morning Shower

I couldn't have been more thrilled as I strolled the streets of the French Quarter in New Orleans one morning, and turned the corner to see this delightful "old world" image of a bicycle (with a real basket - not plastic!) in front of two shops. Thank goodness I had my camera with me. I snapped the shot and said to myself, "Oh, you are SO getting painted!" It had just rained, so I had the added benefit of the light shining from the damp street and sidewalk. I wish I had made note of the street it was on...maybe Royal Street?

For those of you who haven't visited NOLA recently and wonder about the condition of New Orleans and specifically the French Quarter after Hurricane Katrina, we found it to be beautiful with a sense of much fresh paint and spirit restored. I was able to capture many great images which I hope to turn into paintings.

Old World Charm in the French Quarter
11"x14" oil on canvas

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful!!

Mary J DuVal said...

Thank you for taking a moment to comment and for your kind words - it means a alot!

Tim Adams said...

Beautiful work Mary (as always). I was in NOLA last summer working with the St. Bernard Project, and I found it to truly be a city of contrasts - from the beauty and history of the French Quarter to the continuing devastation of the Lower Ninth....

And I swear I saw that very same bike in front of that very same cafe!