Thursday, July 30, 2009

Schilo's Delicatessen - Take A Big Bite


The latest edition in my series of diners and delis, these working men were enjoying their lunch at Schilo's Delicatessen in San Antonio. I was taken in by the atmosphere and surroundings of the old building but they were more interested in the food and fellowship, I think. I'm not finished with Schilo's yet (as far as paintings are concerned), but have several other eateries I plan on painting in the upcoming months. A restaurant reviewer stated that "Schilo's has the best root beer in the world!" What?! I missed out on that! Something to try on my next visit, I guess. I did have fun painting the neon beer signs in this picture though - part of what originally drew me to the photo. However, the first thing that made me realize I was going to paint it was the fact that I caught the man in blue taking a really big bite out of his hamburger, hence the title.
"Take A Big Bite" - Schilo's Deli, San Antonio
8"x16" oil on canvas

1 comment:

Susan Carlin said...

Shilo's is just around the corner from my gallery, so I get to eat there often. I never even HEARD about the root beer. I always have their Reuben sandwich and their famous split pea soup. Now I want that root beer! Love this painting, Mary.