Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hurricane Preparedness

We have some friends who have given us an "open invitation" to come to their ranch whenever a major hurricane is headed our way from the gulf. We have taken them up on this offer a couple of times and I wanted to do something nice for them. I asked if they'd like a painting and she told me, "How about a painting of one of our longhorns?" So here is Mama, painted in the old style of horse portraits, next to her water bucket, with the scenery of the Texas hill country behind her.


There was debate in our family during the painting process about whether females have horns, and come to find out they do. I thought only steers had horns, but apparently it depends on the breed. (?) You can tell I'm no ranch hand. I didn't know much about longhorns at all before painting Mama, other than as a mascot for University of Texas.


Longhorns as a breed faced extinction as of 1927, until the US Forest Service saved and bred them exclusively, along with a few dedicated ranchers. Apparently they have quite a knack for surviving in harsh climates and are often bred with other cattle to enhance the health and viability of other breeds. Other longhorn facts from Wikipedia:

- Texas Longhorns with elite genetics can often fetch up to $40,000 or more at auction with the record of $160,000 in recent history for a cow.

- Most breeds of cattle fall into either beef or dairy. The Texas longhorn is a beef animal and is known for its lean beef, which is lower in fat, cholesterol and calories than most beef.


I felt a little under pressure to finish their longhorn before the hurricane season arrived - I didn't want to show up on their doorstep without the promised longhorn. So far, all's quiet on the Gulf and I hope it stays that way. (But I am looking forward to seeing Mama's portrait framed and hanging up at the ranch house).


No comments: